Newbie needs sage advice

Rodney_L_Wiggins at keybank.com Rodney_L_Wiggins at keybank.com
Fri Dec 10 14:29:50 GMT 1999

I am fairly new to the list so forgive my relative lack of knowledge.  I need
your help with a fundamental and somewhat philosophical question:     Is it
really worth replacing my stock FI system with a quality aftermarket system?
The car is an 86 Porsche 944 turbo with early Bosch Motronic converted from vane
to hot wire.  The computer incorporates a manifold pressure sensor, which I
assume references boost level and adjusts timing and fuel accordingly. (I don?t
know the range of this sensor however, as I am running far more boost than the
factory intended).  The computer is crank triggered.  In other words, it is my
impression that I already have a lot of the features that make the aftermarket
EFI systems desirable.  So far I?ve just been using the white-lies method to get
the stock computer to meet the added fuel requirement of the larger turbo,
headwork, cam, nitrous, etc. Other than a minor drivability problem, this method
has worked well. However, if there is horsepower to be gained, I am willing to
move to the next level.  Is there really a fundamental improvement to be had by
moving to an aftermarket system?  Of course, the downsides are clear, cost,
complexity, potential tuning headaches.  Does anyone out there regret taking
this step?  I love gadgets, love having complete control over all parameters,
and I love knowing exactly how it all is working.  So the EFI systems are very
attractive to me.  However, will I end up just spending lots of time and money
to have a car that drives the same as it does now?  I assume the engineers at
Bosch and Porsche knew more than I do about EFI when the designed my system.
Now that I?ve doubled the stock horsepower have I so completely surpassed their
original design specs that I need to ditch what I have?  I know the answer may
contain a large ?opinion? component.  This is fine, I?m hoping to learn from
others? experience here.  I suspect might have some trouble getting an unbiased
answer to this question from an EFI sales rep.
Thanks in advance,
Rod Wiggins