Plugs for flare fittings?

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 19:10:13 GMT 1999

steve.ravet at arm.com writes:

<< f I wanted to remove the AIR pump on my V8 S-10 conversion, then I'd
 have to find some flare plugs to plug the holes in the exhaust manifold
 where the AIR connects, right?  Any suggestions on where to find
 something like that?  I've called plumbing and A/C suppliers in my area
 and can't come up with anything.  A few places told me that if they had
 them, they'd only be in brass.  If I can find brass ones, would they
 work?  The manifold is cast iron and the AIR tubes are stainless.  Will
 brass take the heat cycling and temps?

 I know I could replace the manifold also, but I'd rather just plug the
 one I have.

 thanks,
 --steve

Brass should be fine, besides, it wont rust to the manifold and you can pull
them out if needed. Brass nuts have been used on exaust manifolds before
because they cold be removed later without rusting to the studs. Note that for
future reference when installing headers or use stainless components.
If you are working with a turbo, look for A286 or Inconel parts. They are high
nickel alloys and are excellent for high heat and corrosive envirroment.
Fred