4 cyl engine advice needed

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Thu Feb 18 01:36:06 GMT 1999

Ted,

Although turbo V-6 Buicks and countless import configurations offer great
performance gains, I would rather agree with Frederick about the Ford
Turbo-4.  Not only many T-Birds, but Mustangs and SVO Mustangs, too.  Most
came with Borg-Warner T-5 5spd trans, also.  I don't know where you live or
what kind of connections you have at yards, but you're probably sure to find
this Ford setup to be waaay cheaper than imports and Buick SEFI Turbo'd 6's.

The Turbo-4 was an excellent performer in my 120,000 mile GT350 Mustang, but
if you want more Ford Motorsports sells cams, heads, etc for these motors.
An SVO Mustang adds intercooler for more go-power, and my favorite low buck
mod is a vacuum solenoid plumbed in the wastegate hose, that bleeds boost
pressure to atmosphere when a switch is thrown.  Instant "wow!"  You'd have
to look into that computer to avoid the violent "shutdown" when boost
pressures go above 12-15 psi.

I'm cheap, but I like to call myself practical.

Jim Yeagley
Member:  www.indyram.org
webmaster at indyram.org
jimyeagley at stratos.net