Voltage regulator

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 18:18:06 GMT 1999

In a message dated 1/2/99 10:16:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
clarencewood at centuryinter.net writes:

<< Following this thread with great interest!  What is PWM?? >>

PMW is Pulse Width Modulation. In motor control it is fantastic. It is used
for controlling speed and torque on motors. It is the backbone of the
machining industry. We have motors with encoders that control the velocity of
the tables on milling machines at exact speed to acurracies of 0.0001 inch or
less and can achieve velocities from 0 to over 1000 inches a minute without
losing position. Computer control allows three or more to be used to contour
with accuracies stated before. All this with constantly varying load for the
cut and the weight of the parts. Also used in printers and plotters.
it is an on/off switch of the power at a constant (usually) voltage kind of
like if you using a thermostat to keep a constant temperature in your house.
Just a thermostat for speed or in this case, pressure. Simple idea but the
control can be fantastic in use. Has anyone started on a pressure switch
controlled PMW drive. I would love to play with it. Maybe even machine some
parts if need be.

Fred Harmon
Fred Harmon Precision Machining