Stepper Motors

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Mon Jan 11 18:40:53 GMT 1999

The article in Radio electronics by Don Lancaster talked about the
feasibility of an alternator as a stepper but he concluded the the step
angle would be to great  for practical uses. Most steppers are 1.8 deg
between  steps. The alternator would be in excess of
30 degrees if I remember right. I want to try an alternator as a brushless
motor using 6 transistors to commutate the windings.
I have found  lazer Printers and plotters a good source for high torque
steppers. Copy machines might have the stepper you need also. If you have a
bi-polar stepper (4 wires) you can experiment with a IAC driver delco 23266
and some external power transistors.
Unipolar steppers (6 wires) are easier to drive and many circuits are on the
web if your search for stepper motor.

Don