Haltech E6GM

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Jan 16 01:13:57 GMT 1999

>I did a little reading through the archives and came across a post
>which mentioned that one drawback to the E6GM was that the RPM
>increments were 1000RPM as opposed to 500RPM in another system.
>
>Can someone explain the difference in operation and the effect on
>programming as well as driveablity?
>
>TIA,
>
>Charles Brooks

Your fuel and timing maps are basically a matrix of (engine) load vs.
speed, with fuel/advance values at each point on the chart. Either MAF or
MAP is used as the load indicator, RPM as the speed indicator. Having
mapped points every 500 RPM (with respect to speed) results in twice as
many points on each chart as having them every 1000 RPM would. This leads
to more accurate tuning. On the best systems, RPM increments and load
increments are user selectable, and do not necessarily have to be evenly
spaced (for instance, you could choose to lay your RPM increments out so
that each higher one was an equal percentage greater than the one below!!)

Take a look at the web sites for MoTeC and/or Autronics if you want to get
a good idea of what programming options are available on higher end units.

Also, there was a thread a few weeks ago talking about the effect of the
minimum increment in injector pulse width of which a given ecu is capable
of incrementing, and the effect of that factor on a tuner's ability to get
an engine to idle in a civilized manner--particularly if using a big cam
and/or injectors. IMHO, a unit with a minimum pw increment of more than 16
us --preferably 8 or 10 us (us, not ms) is not worth a #$@% for a
STREETABLE hypo application. Check this out carefully before you buy!!

Regards, Greg