TCC switch & questions.....

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Sat Jan 16 14:02:50 GMT 1999

Recent discussion on TCC lockups got me thinking (always a dangerous thing....).

Having installed the TCC lock switch, I've got a couple of questions for the performance gurus:

What advantage or disadvantage, during daily driving, to having the switch on or off?  Things just feel more 'solid' to me w/ the TCC lock on.

It makes sense to me that having the converter locked during Banzii runs will net a lower ET due to less loss thru the driveline - KB claims .2-.25 sec better.

BUT -

Shifts now occur @ about 500 rpm *less* engine speed (no slippage now).  W/O the TCC locked, my Syclone would shift @ (WOT) about 4300 rpm - just about at the HP peak - this is not ideal.  Ideally, we'd like to upshift on the 'far' side of the HP curve, to an approximately equal HP point on the rising side of the curve.  As it stands w/ the TCC locked, shifts occur @ *less* than the HP peak of the engine.  This seems to be in need of correcting - seems you'd like to raise the shift points to about 5000 RPM, past the HP peak, to keep the engine on the power curve better.

Would raising the shift points, at least to compensate for the now 'slipless' TC, be of benefit?  Seems there should be an additional .2 sec or so there also (?).

Right?  Wrong?  All wet??  Comments?

Thanks - Barry