FW: Electronic timing advance

HADJIASLANIS ARIS 1260 800 aris at exmail.panafon.gr
Sun Jan 17 11:07:11 GMT 1999

Matt, Bruce & Robert,

after following your inputs and using the web as much as I could, I have
now found and ordered a XR 700 ignition unit from Crane Cams which WILL
definitely fit the original Magnetti Marell distributor of the Dino
engine and replace the twin contact breakers with an optical pick up.
This most definitely covers adequately the first part of my project,
i.e. replacement of the antiquated distributor points!

The next now is to disable the existing (horrible) centrifugal advance
mechanism, which is easy.

However the 3rd is to then need to insert a digital programmable
ignition advance / retard mapping unit between the optical interruptor
output and the ignition unit.

Hmmmm after looking in the WWW for ages I have been unable to locate
such a unit devoid of other frills or compromises (e.g. just turbo or
Nitrous Oxide retard which really is quite different from what I need).

My original posting to which you replied most kindly was ...
"... 3. Feed the optical pick up output to a digital advance / retard
unit
implementing a simple, programmable advance curve capable of at least 16
sites.
4. Optionally add an imput for a detonation sensor to provide a few
degrees of detonation induced retard.
5. The unit should just provide an output emulating a normal contact
breaker, to drive a separate high energy electronic ignition unit
(already fitted in my car)...."

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Aris