FW: Electronic timing advance

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Jan 23 01:29:17 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Brooks <cbrooks1 at mail.tqci.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, January 22, 1999 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: FW: Electronic timing advance

If your running a ESC Module, they have a diagram for a DIY one at the GN
Ttype
site,  or just us a 339/any comparator to the input of the KS to the ecm,
have
it trigger a 555 as a monstable for a sec., and use it's output for a LED,
relay
etc..   Some of the GN Ttype vendors (ie ATR, I think) have an animal for
sale.
   If your car doesn't have a ks then buy a matching ESC Module, and
matching knock sensor (well for gm's anyway).  and wire it up
I think the bias voltage from the esc to the ecm is 7v.  Set up the
comparator for 6, and then just a "filtered""real" knock will trigger it.
  I have played mix, and match with them, and while there is some
difference for those having trouble reading plugs, any thing is better
than nothing.  Like I'm currently using a v-8 ks with a 231 ESC Module
and for my combination it's perfect.
Bruce