1999 truck PCM's ROM

Mike trinity at golden.net
Sat Jan 23 22:00:34 GMT 1999

>I have a PCM (powertrain Control Module a.k.a. ECM)
>from a 1999 GMC sierra pickup truck.  The connectors
>are almost bigger than the circuitboard itself.
>
>Well, anyway.. i have it open, and here's the info
>from the flash ROM chip:
>
>Intel
>16236995
>AB28F400BX
>E 5012
>U7400142Q
>Flash
>
>44 pins

Cool. Just in case you didn't know,

ftp://download.intel.com/support/flash/memory/bootblock/2900501.pdf

is a datasheet for the A28F400BX 4-Mbit flash.

>It's a surface mount device, but i plan to solder
>little wires to it and to a connector so i can
>plug it into my ROM burner (while it's in vivo).
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions or information
>as to whether this could be a bad idea or has
>anyone done it?  I asked GM for a PCM programmer
>kit but surprisingly, they refused to give me one.

Considering how rare such a PCM is in wreckers yards at this point and how
expensive one must be from GM, I'd be loathe to try reading it in situ for
fear of damaging it or another device on the board. No chance of desoldering
it eh?

--
 Mike