Code Tweaking (Was Cubic Dollars)

DC Smith dcsmith at gnttype.org
Sat Jan 30 13:07:25 GMT 1999

Kind of along these lines...
 I got a phone call from a private investigator in Atlanta a while back.
He told me he had heard I play with a lot of performance chip for my
car, and was trying to pinpoint when chips had started to become
"tweaked" by individuals. It seems he had a client that was being sued
for selling performance chips. This nut case initiating the suit,
claimed he "invented" performance chips in 1994 or something. He told me
this 'nut' had even gone to try and sue GM for tweaking on their code.
Jeez, what an idiot for trying that one.. GM just shrugged this guy
off..
 I told the PI to join this list to get the "straight poop" on modifying
EFI chips.. Don't know if he ever did, or even remember what his name
was..
 I kinda got a kick out of that one, though.. :^)

Greg Hermann wrote:

> AWFULLY hard before they would register the copyright on it (which requires
> putting their source code into public record) just so as to be able to sue
> somebody over copying it.
>
> Bottom line is, I am not worried, nor do I think somebody like Hypertech
> needs to worry.

Dan Smith      84 Regal   12.13 at 112 (so far)   GSCA# 1459
St.Charles, Missouri
mailto:dcsmith at gnttype.org
http://www.tetranet.net/users/morepoweral