Some efi: carby/super charger setup

dzorde at erggroup.com dzorde at erggroup.com
Wed Jul 28 01:36:37 GMT 1999

Hi all,

With the list in digest mode it seems the mail has really slowed down.  Anyway,
I'd appreciate if someone has a solution for this minor inconvenience.  I have
finally managed to get my Fiat 850, with the MR2 supercharger on it, running.
Currently its using the original carby in a blow through configuration (the
setup is crap, but will have to do for the time being).  With the whole carby
being pressurised there is enough fuel pressure in the electric pump to make the
car idle, however I'm sure as the pressure builds up the fuel pump runs out of
steam.  What is the solution?

Do you use a high pressure efi pump with a 0.5bar regulator, vacuum/boost
compensated to the inlet manifold, so the fuel pressure is always 0.5bar above
boost level ?

What about the float.  The carby currently uses a soldered brass float, will it
be strong enough to withstand say 20psi of boost ? Or will I  need to fill it
with something non collapsable ?

What about the needle and seat, will there be any problems here ?

Might sound logical, but I'm a bit out of my depths here and so appreciate any
answers, on list or off list.

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com