Metric essay

John Carroll jcarr at cyberhighway.com
Sat Jun 5 15:57:19 GMT 1999

The essay is wonderfully puts many of my observations into
words.  I went though engineering school in the last moment of
slide rule usage which coincided with a really dedicated effort to
convert every student to metric units.  I emerged with no bias
toward ether system and still flip back and forth easily.  The trick
is to develop a set of personal references in each system and
NOT try to convert everything.

The observation that binary fractions of a unit of measure are
easy to use is the best demonstration of the artificialness of a
decimal system.  I have never seen a 1.3 mm pitch thread, but
1.25 and 1.75 pitch taps are easy to find.  Metric users revert to
fractions when they have a chance.  Change gears for lathes do
not come in decimal increments.

On the other hand, I have never seen even the most dedicated
American machinist insist on a microMETER indicated in
1/1024" readable to 1/4096".  The process of dividing 1/12 of a
foot into .001 or .0001 units seems perfectly normal.  They
measure long things in inches as well.  The same person would
be amazed if a surveyor measured his house lot in inches and
fractions or decimals rather than .01 foot.  It is difficult to make
an argument against a unified system of measurment when
information and products travel so easily.

The problems with adapatation is mostly prejudice and illusion.
Every day I watch machinists struggle to make sense of metric
dimensions.  If they would reach out and mash the button that
switches their machine to metric measuring units and work for
one day without converting any thing, they would have the
problem licked.

Europeans, Asians and Africans don't give a hoot if we produce
and consume in metric units.  It is simply an economic issue
where a good's value is associated with it's desireability.  We
can produce all the yards of cloth we want but if the potential
customers want meters, they will pay more for meters, other
things being the same.

The real tragedy is that we came so close to evolving with six
fingers on each hand.  We could have had a twelve based
system.  The base divides rationally by 1,2,3,4 and 6.  The
european peasants and central american indians had it right
when they observed that eggs and apples fit nicely in boxes in
dozens and a dozen dozen is a nice large number.  Gross,
acres, years, hours, minutes  and miles all divide nicely by 12.
We have a de facto 12 based system in some aspects of
commerce.

My personal vote is for a 16 based system to achieve an
improvement in precision and computation speed.  No more
decimal adjusts and floating point precision would be more
easily maintained.  I wonder how long it would take us to reach a
consensus on the names and shapes of the six new digits.
Well, I guess we already have ten, eleven and twelve named,
we only need three  more.

John Carroll

John Carroll
jcarr at cyberhighway.net