diy_efi Honda EGO Meter

Gar Willis garfield at cyberlynk.com
Fri Jun 11 00:30:36 GMT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:04:53 -0600, "Kevin Yachimec"
<keviny at cybertech.ca> wrote:

>I'm new to the group and decided before I start asking too many questions
>I'd do a search of the diy_efi archives for any information on the Honda EGO
>Meter project.  After spending hours of searching and reading I have a good
>idea were the project got to.
>
>I found a post that was dated April 13,1998 'Re: Return of the diy_EGOmeter
>(YES, it's finally ALIVE!!)'; that said that a working prototype meter was
>completed and working.  After that date I can find anymore information about
>the project.  I was wondering if anyone had information since that date?
>I'm thinking that I'd like to build one.

Well, you said you were gonna read the archives. Too bad you didn't read
them all the way to the end. But, all-in-all, you didn't do too badly.

The longNshort of the progression was that there was indeed a working
prototype completed, AND even tested against an NTK and Horiba box, and
was slated to be released freely to anyone who wanted to use it. It was
and is called EGOR. But the author of the design (me) stated ONE
proviso; that there be NO construction using the design, that was to be
sold for profit.

That single provision apparently stuck in the craw of some of our
illustrious members, all of whom I can see are with us to the present
day, in which in one case, one guy said he thot I was being "two-faced",
since I had "reverse-engineered the NTK device", a thing that was NO WAY
true, and therefore where did I come off setting out rules for EGOR's
use. An owner of an NTK box, who's still on list and can vouch for this
(right, Frank?), helped me to understand the OUTPUTS that an NTK
interface produced under certain start-up and quiescent conditions. But
there was NO reverse-engineering, no copying, or even viewing of
circuits. The owner of that NTK box did NOT break it's warrranty seal
nor look inside AT ALL, on my behalf. That same "you're being two-faced"
individual said it was just human nature that some of those who'd see
the freely shared design, would make some to sell for profit, anyway. I
took this as a direct shot across the bow, that no matter MY
restrictions on the use of the design, he and others viewed that as just
so much blather, and would damn well do whatever they bloody-well felt
like doing, once I released the design. I then received a private email
from one of the then (and current) members of DIY, that he indeed
intended to make for-profit copies of EGOR, whether I liked it or not!

To snap the camel's back, one Buttbert HairAss threatened to write a
letter to both Saab and Ohio State Univ., alleging that I was promoting
patent breach by investigating the ION stuff. He did this, by his own
admission, cuz "he didn't like Gar".

Soooo, at that point, lacking any support from other members of the
group against this assault, I bailed from the group, set up the present
plan whereby the design will remain hidden, and engaged a friendly mfg.
company to make and sell commercially, Precision AFR Meters based on the
EGOR design. Then I returned as a vendor of said EGOR.

End of story. That's where we are at present.

Gar Willis
AirSIG, Inc.
Castle Airport
1210 Propeller Place