8051 based EFI system and ECU6/7

Al Lipper efi at cardozo.org
Thu Jun 24 00:06:20 GMT 1999

Julian, it's great to hear about your work with EFI.  The 8051FA is a great
CPU, and in fact, I built my original prototype for the ECU6 system using a
board based on it.  ECU6 itself uses a 80C51GB, which is basically the same
as the FA but has a built-in A/D and some other stuff.  We moved on from
there when they discontinued the GB, and that's why ECU7 uses the Phillips
80C552.  The software from ECU6 (EFI02.ASM in particular) should work with
little modification on the 8051FA based system.  Anyway, it's great to have
you on the project.  I'm not sure what the problem you're having with
Protel is, but it sounds like it's not reading the aperture table right
(many programs seem to have a slightly different formats).  If you have a
Gerber viewer, it might help (at least to see what it should look like).
Keep me up on your progress.

				Al