Use larger inj. & dual -pots/SMOG

Jason_Leone at amat.com Jason_Leone at amat.com
Mon Mar 8 18:53:50 GMT 1999

<<On what basis do you think your modifications would be exempted by a Referee?
The purpose of the Referee engine change approval process is to endorse the
replacement of older, higher-polluting engines with newer, lower-polluting
engines.  The installed configuration must be similar to the originally approved
configuration, as designed and tested by the manufacturer.  If your aftermarket
parts have an ARB EO, you don't need to get a Referee label.>>

I was asking if anybody had luck getting aftermarket parts tested at a Ref
station. I didn't say that was my plan, or that I thought I could get my custom
turbo car certified. Far from it. None of my parts have anything close to a
C.A.R.B. E.O.#! If I have all of the factory emissions equipment present, and
functioning properly...and the car passes the sniff test, then I would have a
snowball's chance of passing at a Ref station.

<<Don't get me wrong... I'm all for the approval of performance modifications
when
they can be comprehensively tested (ie, FTP or IM240), but the current Smog
Check program does not accommodate that at reasonable cost.  That's why we need
to make "stealthy" modifications!  Computer mods will not likely be detected by
a visual inspection.  Still needs to pass tailpipe test, though.>>

There's nothing stealthy about an Electromotive TEC II engine
management/ignition system. The damn ECU/coilpack is anodized gold and uses
green electrical connectors. Not too factory looking. Maybe if painted blacked
and debadged...on a dark night! One quick look down by the firewall, and they'd
see a Garrett T04B staring back at 'em. "Hmm, the computer doesn't show a '93
Corrado VR6 Turbo, what year is it again?". "What's this 'Schrick' intake
manifold w/ this vacuum line coming out of it?". Those are questions I don't
want to have to answer. So, I resigned myself to removing the whole TEC
II/turbo/wiring/3" exhaust once every two years (or having a "hook up" do my
SMOG).

Tree-huggers relax. My TEC II can be dialed in for way better emissions than any
factory car of the same year. I could run it at 14.7 A/F all day long. But I
won't! Car would be lean as hell and would melt a piston under boost. Seems that
14.25-14.36 is pretty good for all around daily driving sans turbo. Dyno tuning
is key. All those worried about environmental issues in CA should know that
we're about to repeal the reformulated gas soon. No more M.T.B.E. for CA! It's
leaking into our ground water supply, so we'll simply choose clean water over
"clean" air (Clean air? That's extremely debatable, BTW). Of couse it will take
the crude oil moguls four years to cut in the old non-M.T.B.E. stuff...so they
claim.

Jason
'93 SLC