Off Panhard bar

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 02:52:55 GMT 1999

In a message dated 3/13/99 9:17:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, nacelp at bright.net
writes:

> Big Snip
>  >An a arm is not a Watts linkage. A Watts linkage resembles a Panhard bar
>  >with a bellcrank in the center. The bellcrank should be attached to the
>  >chassis and the two rods attached to either end of the axle. The rods are
>  >parallel to the axle in their normal position.
>
>  Why would it matter if crank on axle or chassis?.  Or just for unsprung
>  weight,
>  differences.

Sorry, just got into this thread. Don't know if it is street or race flavor.
Many moons ago, I built a pro street vega with a 36w" rear, watts link,
coil-overs & ladder bars.   I drove it all over the place after it
was first completed, and the watts link always seemed so fragile..
It was a Comp Engineering part from Summit Racing.
The pivot 'thingie was centered on the diff, and the rods went
out to each fram rail.  The rails were 22-24 inches apart
One good chuckhole, and I was taking up the rear sheet
metal to get to it with a welder.  I replaced it with a panhard bar
and forgot about it.  Again, it was a street driven car, so
it was subject to running over debris, speed bumps, slow kids, etc..
MV