injector manifold design

Mike Morrin mikem at southern.co.nz
Mon Mar 22 19:34:35 GMT 1999

At 07:15 am 22/03/99 -0800, Stowe, Ted-SEA wrote:
>yes I wondered about that, but I was considering that since by design the
>Bosch system fires all 4 injectors like a bank at a time, 2 big injectors
>per port, both firing all the time, seems like it would have a lot of
>overlap. I can't immediately see the value of having 4 injectors, which
>would be physically hard to do with 2 intake ports, but 2 bigger ones
>instead might logically work. ??

I don't know if you saw my meaning....

Looking at one of your ports, the firing order is something like
1-gap-gap-2-1-gap-gap-2.......
Now if you are squirting fuel at 80% duty cycle, what is going to stop
cylinder 2 from sucking in some of the fuel which was intended for cylinder 1?

You could go for a sort of modified-sequential injection, but you would
then be limited to a 25% maximum duty cycle per cylinder, which would
require timed injection, large injectors, and difficult idle control, not
to mention custom ECU software.

regards,
Mike