Fuel injection plugs

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Sat May 1 14:35:41 GMT 1999

James:
    There's got to be a million ways of accomplishing this...... The
regular transmission with steps is more efficient than the belt drive.
The idea here is that the belt drive provides the continuous stepless
effect and the transmission provides ranges..... perhaps it isn't
necessary, but I am assuming that at very light loads extreme high
gearing will be required to load the engine enough to hold it down to
the desired speed at WOT.   This may not be necessary if you are
willing to use a hybrid system which uses a conventional throttle when
you get beyond your target operating range.  That is to say if you
optimise for typical highway driving so that you can gear enough to
hold the engine down, probably on downgrades you'll have to resort to
conventional throttling anyway.  My thinking is that if you provide a
high enough gear ratio to accomplish the objective of nearly always
being able to throttle with the transmission, it will at times be
necessary to gear down further than your belt drive transmission
allows for power, just as gravity may overcome your ability to
throttle with load at the other end.   H.W.