Fuel injection plugs

James Ballenger jballeng at vt.edu
Sun May 2 05:44:18 GMT 1999

Raymond C Drouillard wrote:

> CHANGING THE GEARING CHANGES THE ENGINE SPEED!  THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT!

    Shifting gears changes the engine speed.  The point is if we didnt need
to shift and had a smooth transition through the whole range we could keep
the engine rpm constant.  When you are in first gear you rev up the engine in
a static gear and then shift it to start reving in a new static gear.  You
could make the gearing dynamic, a cvt, and be able to keep the engine speed
constant.

> A CVT doesn't change the power (besides the ordinary efficiency losses).
> If you attempt to reduce the torque to the drive wheels by changing the
> gear ratio, you will either slow down the engine or speed up the vehicle.
>
> An unthrottled engine running at a specific speed (max torque, for
> example) is going to put out a specific amount of power.  If this is more
> power than is required to maintain the desired cruise speed, the vehicle
> will speed up.

    A cvt wouldnt change the effective torque at the crank, but would modify
it at the drive wheels.  What happens if you keep your rpm constant and shift
from 1st to 4th?  You can keep the load on the engine constant and therefore
the rpm constant by changing the gear ratio.   I suppose a problem occurs
when there is little load on the engine, but the could be countered by an
insanely low (numerically) gear keeping in mind I am discussing a perfect cvt
with infinite range.

> If you want to prevent this without throttling - that is, if you want to
> maintain the same cruise speed without throttling, you will need to
> change the gear ratio.  Assuming that you don't speed up, the engine will
> HAVE to slow down.

You don't have to slow the engine down, you reduce the transmission ratio.

James Ballenger