atomization enhancement

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon May 3 03:51:05 GMT 1999

-> There has been some recent research that indicates the best
-> atomization occurs when the exhaust hits the puddled fuel behind the
-> intake valve when the valve opens.

 1) you're talking about a pretty small amount of fuel here, which is
    supposed to be in vaporized or fine droplet form anyway

 2) that valve is hopping up and down pretty-damned-quick, even at idle.
    Not much chance for puddling there.

 3) there's one hell of a lot of turbulence in that intake port, both
    from the valve's movement on and off the seat and from charge
    reversion during overlap, not to mention turbulence from the other
    cylinders on a common manifold.

 On an alcohol-burning Chevy in a sprint car, bogged down coming out of
a corner, I could believe in fuel puddling on the back of the intake
valve.  In almost anything else, it's "show me" time.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?