Fuel injection plugs

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Mon May 3 04:56:29 GMT 1999

Bruce:
    The "spreadbore" (I believe that's the term) design of the
Quadrajet results in the secondarys contributing to normal driving far
more than on carbs with equal primarys & secondaries.  As a result a
little bit of wear in these rods or orfices makes a big difference in
performance.  I could show you quite a number of Quadrajet carbs with
visibly egged out secondary orfices.... These are 100k+ carbs, and I
just throw them away and find a good one.  Unfortunately I've found
that the factory "rebuilts" often have this same problem.  Perhaps as
I deal more in pickups and trucks than in cars, the is some difference
in the operating environment which accounts for the problem...... Who
knows.   I just know that if I have one that doesn't work, it nearly
always turns out to have egged secondary jets.        H.W.