Direct Injection - Stratified

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Mon May 3 14:31:25 GMT 1999

Contrary to public myth, there actually is more than one stratified charge
design - but then anyone who was not blindly prejudiced would have know that.

For Example - the Texaco /MANN design where the fuel is injected past a
sparking plug that is firing repeatedly.  Gets the best of both diesel for
economy and otto cause it can burn rich of stoic and great economy because it
can run WOT always and no denotation.

Then there is the unscavenged "blind"prechamber  also known as a torch cell,
which is not involved in air flow.

The fuel scavenged prechamber ( the more common ) variant - which has fuel
shot thru it - kinda like the spark plug injector thingee that started this
thread.  Its not involved in air flow.

The air scavenged pre chamber ala Honda CVCC - which has a separate intake
valve ( very small ) and port and runner - again not interfering with flow -
Honda continued this design with a three valve head that had two intakes, one
exhaust and a cvcc valve.  Didn't seem to slow them down much.  Didn't seem to
have any negative impact on air flow or power or economy.

In fact, excepting some obscure diesel designs, none of the popular
pre-chambers is a device that is involved in the main air flow so they can't
possible introduce a restriction into the path of fuel or air.

The minor loss of theoretical peak thermal efficiency is greatly offset by the
vast increase in range of combustion, quality of fuel, and faster burning.

But hey - I must be a dumbshit - I only researched it extensively instead of
simply anally extracting some spurious so there comment.