valve job question

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Mon May 3 15:01:21 GMT 1999

    An old trick which I will relate, but not advocate, is to run the
piston down to the bottom of the cylinder, and smear grease on the
cylinder wall above it.  You then run the piston up and the top ring
gathers the grease ahead of it on the way up.  You then perform you
piston cleaning chore with your wire brush while protecting the other
cylinders, etc, and blow or suck the surface clean when done.  Then
you crank the piston back down, and the grease with any crud that
found it's way down around the piston remains near the top of the hole
where you can wipe it out.
    This is a trick many of the old timers used, and it works, but I'm
sure it is not considered good form these days.             H.W.