fuel line check valve reality check

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Tue May 4 15:03:44 GMT 1999

really ? I had no idea. thanks Ted I will check into this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tedscj at aol.com [mailto:Tedscj at aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 7:17 AM
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: fuel line check valve reality check

In a message dated 5/4/99, 2:13:32 AM, diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
writes:
<<howdy.

I am trying to find 2 'flapper' type, low threshold, fuel check valves for
my 72 xj6, my thought is to tie both fuel tanks together with a one way
valve in each line, then have that go to a 'T' then to the chev mechanical
pump. (I have a Chevy eng in it and I want to remove the old original
electric fuel pumps & related mess in the trunk.)

an email to Earl's got me a $50.00 price per valve, not including the
fittings. I called another place and got a price of $195.00 for a single
electric shut off valve, (I briefly thought of using 2 of them). this is a
low-tech daily driver, why are one way check valves & stuff so expensive ??
yikes ! is there some plain old ford/chev, one way check valve someplace ?

thanks, Ted.

The SII and SIII  XJ6 uses valves that are both one-way and electric
shut-off.   I think they are $30 - $40 a piece new, and of course if you can

find one in a junk yard that would be even better.  They are located in the
rear wheel well, next to the gas tank, and behind a shield.  I think they
are
probably exactly what you need since you will still be able to maintain the
ability to switch between tanks.
I have tried to simplify the system in my SII but have found there is no way

around using the electric valves.  Otherwise you have problems with one tank

emptying before the other and introducing air into the gas line.
Ted