Reverse Cooling?

Stephen Cranford cranford at texas.net
Tue May 4 15:06:11 GMT 1999

Matt S Bower wrote:

> GM went to it earlier than the LT1.  If you look at late 80's IROC's
> TA's and vettes they should all be reverse flowed.  The reason as I can
> recall was something to do with trying to control the head temps for
> emmisions.  They were able to get around the need with the LS1 engine
> and went back to the standard flow which I believe keeps the whole
> system at a more uniform temp.  Bottom line still is that the gains
> weren't high enough for anyone else to fool with it.

Try again...The L98's in the C4's and 3rd gen F-Body's weren't reverse
flow at all.  The LT1 is GM's one and only reverse flow V8.  Reverse
flow cooling led to cylinder temp problems that GM thought wouldn't be a
problem and that's why the LS1 isn't reverse flow.
--
Stephen Cranford
92 RS Sapphire Blue w/Purple Pearl & White Stripes