O2 == 1.00? volts?

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Thu May 6 08:15:23 GMT 1999

Is it possible for an O2 sensor to output a full volt (plus a few
millivolts)?  I thought they peaked out at 9/10ths of a volt or so.  The
1+ volts were measured with a DVM.  The meter's ground lead was clipped
to the engine<->body braid.  The engine end of this braid is where the
computer picks up the O2 ground.  This was on an EEC-IV w/ Motorcraft
2150 feedback carb.

I got the 1+ volt reading just after starting a cold engine.  The temp
guage hadn't even reached "C" yet.  This engine is freshly rebuilt - I
was continuing the initial fast idle break-in after fixing a vacuum leak
/ major lean misfire problem.  At the time, the engine had 20 to 25
minutes of running time.  Once the engine started warming up a bit, the
computer took over and the O2 started swinging back and forth.

In a related matter, what is the proper position of the idle mixture
adjustment screws?  I assume that they should be set so that the
feedback solenoid is running at around 50%.