atomization enhancement

Fredrik Skog c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Thu May 6 11:09:11 GMT 1999

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Howard Wilkinson wrote:

First: I live in europe and we don't use the unlogical imperial
measurements and I have double checked these figures and it says bar not
psi. Second: I have the "Bosch Automotive Handbook" in my hand
right now and it says that Bosch common rail uses pressures of up to 1600
bar in their common-rail systems.
Third: I have actually driven these vehicles and they work, and they work
very good, you can't believe it is a diesel engine when you drive it.

This is not bad information, and just because Cummins don't have a way to
achieve these pressures don't mean that others don't...please, we live in
1999 now and technology are still getting better. And remember that all of
these engines where presented to the market last year or this year so they
are very new.

> James:
>     I'm firmly in your camp.......Statements recently made about
> Cummins and other engines are absurd.  Either someone is mixing up
> decimal points or mistaking bar for PSI.  I can speak from experience
> with Cummins common rail systems when I say that they are nowhere
> close to these numbers (I've guaged them).  Also The injector pop
> pressures of most diesel engines I've worked with would make me think
> that someone is mistaking bar and psi pressures.  1500 psi would be a
> reasonable breaking pressure for a typical injector, and 4k-5k psi
> would be a very high pressure injector.  I believe that Cummins B
> series and C series engines (not common rail) operate in the latter
> range.... don't quote me here as I have only hearsay numbers on these.
> There is no way on God's earth that a CAV, Roosamaster, or Stanadyne
> rotary pump can produce the pressures people have been throwing about,
> and I have grave doubts that any of the piston pumps can do this
> either.  There is no doubt that diesels develop more power with better
> atomization, and run more efficiently.... as do gas engines...this has
> long been known, but pressures of 20,000 psi are not only difficult to
> achieve, but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.  The only safe way to achieve these
> kind of pressures safely would be to do it with an injector which did
> the pumping so that there was no danger of line breakage.
>     We are being deluged with bad information here, but unfortunately
> I have no way of convincingly refuting it.  In my opinion it's utter
> nonsense!!    H.W.
>

> >> I just looked this up. All the new german diesel engines use
> >> common-rail
> >> (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) and uses a pressures of approx 1350 bar.
> >> VW has a new diesel at 1.9 liter that uses one separate diesel
> >> pump/cyilinder and uses a pressure of 2050 bar. According to all
> these
> >> manufacturers the higher the pressure the better the combustion.
> >
> >1350 BAR!?!  2050 BAR?!?
> >
> >20,000psi and 30,000 psi?  Tell me there's a missing decimal
> >point, or a units mistake here. 13.5 and 20.5 bar sound more
> >believable.
> >
> >james montebello

	Student at the Department of Computing Science Umeå University

Fredrik Skog			    E-mail:   c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Taffelstråket 51	   	    WWW:      http://www.acc.umu.se/~skog
903 53 Umeå                         Phone:    +46-(0)90-136365
			            Mobile:   +46-(0)70-3041729