absurd pressures figures was: atomization enhancement

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Thu May 6 15:30:36 GMT 1999

Fredrik:
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but there is an error somewhere
either in decimal placement or actual units.  Let me give a few
examples of injector breaking pressures.  The popular Cummins B series
engine used in pickups which is considered very high technology only
runs 4200 lbs. injector breaking pressure.  (about 290 bar)  The max
listed breaking pressure our local pump shop was able to find on an
injector was 4500 lbs. (310 bar){note that these people are the
licensed service rep for Stanadyne, Bosch, CAV, and numerous other
companies and have data available for servicing virtually all
currently available injection systems}.
    The cummins people talk about a system on the new ISB engine which
has a pump that will put out 800 bar (11600 psi).  They can't keep
lines on these engines due to the extreme pressures.
    Here are some real life injector breaking pressures as listed in
service manuals I happened to have handy:
VW diesel:   1564 PSI   (108 bar)
Ford Tractor:   2594psi  (179 bar)
Perkins  (4-236 engine):  2500 psi  (172 bar)
John Deere:  2600 psi  (179.3 bar)
International (466 truck engine):  3000 psi (207 bar)

Note that the cummins PT common rail system pressures run from 80 lbs
to about 300 lbs rail pressure (5.5 bar - 20.7 bar)

I don't doubt that Bosch has experimented with extreme pressures, but
find it impossible to believe the they have actually released systems
with the figures you quote.  As I said previously these pressures are
deadly, not to mention problems of nozzle erosion when extreme
pressures are used.

These numbers are in my opinion nonsense...... regardless of what the
Bosch book says.... there's an error someplace.          H.W.