Vapor vs Atom, Coated vs Plain Intake Air Temps

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri May 7 17:02:11 GMT 1999

OK, now I'm inna twist.
Speaking of a SBC, just so we have the same reference frame:
The intake port area in the cylinder head for a stockish engine is about 190
cc.
Each cylinder is +-  700cc.  The intake valve is only open, for a small
period of time.  It's been stated that the back side of the valve may be as
hot as 600dF
With it that hot, will coating the port with a ceramic barrier treatment
really be that great of performance "gainer".  What you lose is the
"vaporization" factor, and in a batch fired system it's all puddled anyway,
so atomiization will be about a constant.
   For this notion, of higher Fuel Pressure causes better atomization, well
again, how much effect can that really have if your firing at a closed
intake valve, like a batch fired gm TPI?.
  Is it just me?, or does the notion of larger plenum intakes for lower lift
cams make more sense?.
Bruce