730 on a 406 small block

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon May 10 02:24:19 GMT 1999

Weight of car?, Auto/Manual tranny?, Final Drive Gearing?.
Your running two. of the 4-barrel units?.
Or two 2 barrel units.
You want to start with the TBI, and then go port??.

> Okay, I now have some 730 computers to work with, but still have some
> questions.
> First here is what I'M working on:
> 400 small block chevy bored .030 for a final displacment of 406".
> 10.8-11.0:1 compression ratio with 2 valve relief pistion on 5.7" rods.
> World Products sportsman2 heads with some porting on the exhaust side.
Crane
> 1.6 roller rockers. Thermal Barrier coating in the combustion
> chambers,cylinder side of the intake valves,both sides of the exhaust
valves
> and full exhaust port.
>
> What I plan to change:
> I was using a hydraulic flat tappet cam with 224 degrees duration at .050
> lift, something like .520 lift with the 1.6 rockers, ground on a 108
degree
> lobe seperation angle. A single 2 barrel Holley ProJection on a custom
> spacer to a torker2 intake (all worked like CRAP together!)
>
> I am currently installing a Weiand "Hi-Ram" Tunnel Ram with dual Holley
> throttle bodies and a small diameter HEI distributor (needed to clear the
> tunnel ram)with an MSD-6T unit. I have a ZZ4 hydraulic roller cam I got
from
> a friend (he went 10.80 with this cam using a DFI computer) that I would
> like to run (I already have the hydraulic roller link bar problem solved).
>
> I have an eprom programer on order, and I am seriously considering an
eprom
> emulator to make on the spot tuning alot faster.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is the 730 computer a good choice here? (I plan to tap the tunnel ram
for
> port injectors in the future someday)
>
> 2. I also have a couple of 727 underhood computers, are these realy the
same
> as a 730 ? any changes I need to know about?
>
> 3. does anybody have a pinout for a 727 ?
>
> 4. Any recomendations on eprom emulators? I have been thinking about the
> EconoROM II from Tech Tools. The ad in Circut Cellar lists it at 149.00,
is
> this good?
>
> 5. Any suggestions for installing an IAC solenoid/valve to the tunnel ram
> plenum? I have heard that the BDS unit uses a ford IAC with a tube to the
> manifold, but that is with a DFI computer. What types of IAC unit will
work
> with the 730 ?

I think Arizonia Speed+Marine sell a remote IAC for GMs.
If ya look around you might find a throttle body that has a bolt on IAC.
Sneezy