Espen's Reed Valves

Espen Hilde mwichstr at online.no
Mon May 10 08:11:49 GMT 1999

The Honda vtec engine impresses me, 1,8l, 207hp at 8500rpm.
Same torque as other 1.8l at lower rpm......
A poor mans Vtec for big cubes it could be something.....
My consern is to have a engine that performs better i all rpms.
Look at your torque curve, is it not flat does it stop to early? The arias
that are low could probably be fixed with reeds or a system simular to what
Alex describes.Its one thing
that I think is a fault in engineering todays engines, and that is to use
thiese heavy valves that can stand the combustion pressures to control
a few psi......A valve that is to controll thise low pressures can be made
much faster acclerating and have a bigger dynamic working aria. The
reed way is a do it yourself way.If you do it this way you dont have to
have a
rollercam and heavy spring pressure to open and close the valves fast, and
all the other items that you need to beef up your valve system, you need
more timing on your camshaft but gentle movements. Offcurse you need to
have the same size air path that you would use in your max hp effort.
Please Fred , tell us more about your reed setup and your experiance with
it.
Espen