Looking for a 1-psi Hobbes switch

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Mon May 10 11:03:54 GMT 1999

> Actually, on one Ford I have worked on, the oil pressure gauge was connected
> to a standard idiot light switch.  The gauge reads half when the switch is
> closed and zero when the switch is open.  Replacing the switch with a sender
> made the gauge not work at all.  This was on a 87 T-bird with digital dash.
> I think Ford does this on other models as well.

Must some of those engineers defected over to GM to work on the B-car a
few years ago, because that is the way all the LT1's are.  Gauge reads
over 2/3 when running and zero when shut off.  The way to change it over
to a true pressure sending unit is to remove an inline resistor and add
one to ground in the signal circuit (at least on the GM).  Oh yeah, the
stock switch is about 5 psi also :^(.

Later dates.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man