Rpm Independence.

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue May 11 15:29:35 GMT 1999

Once upon a time there was something known as a binary scale.  Lets see 1 bit
= 0 or 1, two bits 0, 1,2,3 and so on until we have 8,9, or 10 or whatever
bits.

Now if I were doing this, the input would come from MAF and whatever and a
binary number would be generated.   This would then be the index into a table
where the output would be the pulse width.

BUT, not being enamored with the swiss army knife approach where one tool fits
all, I would not use a single injector per cylinder or whatever.

If the upper bit was connected to a solenoid valve that simple opened a
calibrated jet that was 50% of the flow, I have just doubled the dynamic range
of the "injector" without getting crazy.

Now if you were binary enlightened, you might use a number of these jets,
driven off output bits of your table such that except for a very small amount
of variable fuel to do final trimming, everything is on fixed jets.

Of course there would be no advantage to run these fixed jets say at 100 psi
off a bosch pump would there?  And no advantage to staging them so that the
higher the flow, the further up the manifold runner they are as to allow
maximum cooling of the charge.  And no advantage to these jets being smaller
than your little finger.

And if this was a throttle body, totally eliminating the pulse width modulated
injector itself by using a lambda valve as a high speed solenoid to turn on or
off the finest jets.

Calculating the flow is simple math since the orifice is fixed and the
pressure is fixed.  Also can vary the number of jets in each step.  8 "jets"
generate 256 steps - probably far finer than a real engine needs, but not near
enough to satisfy the anally retentive who believe that precision to 10
decimal points is required to run an engine.

But silly me remembers that the basic advantage of pulsed injectors is to
improve the idle to ~2500 rpm emissions.   And CIS type thinking on the Bosch
System used in some models by Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc was really
crappy at idle, had no power, was balky and all screwed up, couldn't
accelerate or run smooth   -  *** NOT***.

And since the whole damn thing is fixed jets driven off a table - either on or
off, someone who is not chemically challenged might just arrange for some of
these jets to be connected to fuels other than gasoline - say methanal with a
taste of nitromethane - or staged with supplementary gaseous induction like
NOS.

But that's not going to happen to anyone who loves the swiss army knife
approach.  Twist your sister and think about it.