testing injectors

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Tue May 11 23:50:58 GMT 1999

Gang, I was flipping through my copy of 'Maximum Boost' and noticed he
had a simple injector tester.  He had the injector opened by a simple
switch hooked up to a 9V battery and he said to measure flow for 1 minute.
This would hold the injector open at 100% duty cycle.  I know this is a
bad situation but for purposes of testing is this going to damage the
injector (I don't need to measure for the whole minute, I could use 15-30
seconds if that makes a difference).

Will this work for peak and hold injectors?  If these injectors need 4
amps to open then I'm going to need something like a car battery to open
the injector.  Is using a car battery a bad idea here?  i.e 12V vs. 9V

I have some professionally cleaned and flow tested injectors that I can
use as a refrence and I'll use methanol or paint thinner as the solvent
or hexane (I'm a biochemist so I can get anything) ya hexane sounds good
as it's not too volatile, methanol would be cheaper and easier however.
Need some thought here.

I know someone posted a simple circuit to based on a 555 timer but I'd
like to do this quick.  However if this is the only non destructive
method then I will build that guizmo.

Any and all ideas welcome as usual.
 jw