In cylinder pressure measurement

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Wed May 12 22:57:27 GMT 1999

diesel engines have been using this method for many years to monitor
cylinder pressure and cylinder balance. Fiber optics have even been used to
monitor the combustion event. AET of Canada has a new system called ECM
(engine condition monitor) that is based on instantaneous crankshaft angular
velocity measurements.  The ICAV approach might be something to check out
since 2
non contacting hall effect sensors  mounted on the bellhousing measure
flywheel speed. Periodic variations in crankshaft velocity
can indicate each cylinders pressure and balance. Check out the May issue of
Diesel Progress for more info.

Don