Variable Restrictiveness Exhaust

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 15 02:46:15 GMT 1999

These have been around since 1910 ? after muffler invented,
probably the first performance device made.
Also one of  the first devices to be outlawed.
Peak popularity 30's -50's ? standard equip. on some cars?
Commonly known as a cut out.
You will get more power if you cut out the muffler,
also have seen lower emissions.
The honey comb cat is a laminar flow element and you
get a very turbo sound.  The only problem if running rich
for long periods and backfires, you might spit out pieces of
the cat or the substrate could seperate.
Alex