Variable Restrictiveness Exhaust

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Mon May 17 04:28:31 GMT 1999

I don't really know how these mufflers work.  I think the Mitsubishi had a
vacuum valve that blocked part of the muffler's outlet.  This changed the
tuning and made it quieter.  According to this month's Car and Driver, the
Maxima has a spring loaded valve that opens up at some set backpressure.
There is no active control.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>