O2 sensor and water

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Tue May 18 17:48:46 GMT 1999

Previously, you (Squash) wrote:
> --- "David A. Cooley" <n5xmt at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Yes, but that's the outside... It's designed to get
> > wet and survive.  If you
> > get water on the active element inside the exhaust
> > stream, it's toast.
>
> Yes, this is the outside.  I would have big problems
> if I had enough water inside to do in the sensor.
> Would an inactive (cold) sensor get ruined by
> submersion in water?  If the any engine is running, I
> don't think that you would have much of a chance of
> water coming up the exhaust.

no but the sensor is exposed to outside air, and I've
cracked then on my landie and subarus ( the subies are
right at the bottom of the y pipe anything more then 8"
would flood the outside of the sensor and the thermal
gradient popped them (they would leak exhaust). the landrover
had its sensor about 3' off the ground, go into water that deep
and pop ( I ended up removing the sensor for that reason)

they also don't like mud 8-(