alternative engines, WARPED

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Thu May 20 02:57:07 GMT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Tom Sharpe wrote:

> Ever notice how the 427 wedge's (Chevy Ford Chry) all sound different than all
> other engines????same for 440's...  Then there's the Hemi... you can sure pick up
> their song in a crowd.   Nuff said

In the latest Automobile Quarterly there is an article which mentions dyno
development at Mopar on the 426. Apparently the dyno engines headers
dumped into a high stack, no mufflers. They said the whole area knew
when they were playing with them, especially when they were packed
tight. They even mention some of the early engines, both developmental and
production. First I have seen about the A16, a 6 cylinder development
engine, and also a "330 inch" v8 [A182] developmental engine which ran in
1948. Heck, they even mention the 2220 although not too accurately.