Variable Restrictiveness Exhaust - Meet Mr Helmholz

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu May 20 03:32:37 GMT 1999

> This talk of fancy tuning is interesting and certainly improves the power
> per displacement but my question is does all this work actually make a
> better vehicle.  Isn't it easier to just use a larger engine with
> appropriate gearing to achieve the same power and economy without all the
> extra parts?

Too a certain degree, no.  BUT, depending on how fussy you are about
drivability, YES.   Depending on where your starting the gains may be small.
OR, so stagering you'll be speachless.    I have started at ground zero, and
done a total calibration, and I don't think any one less than the 400 chips
I burnt was a waste of time for what the end result was.  I could not come
up with a combination of driving style where the engine was less than 100%.
Trailing throttle to WOT braking, cornering sudden steering loads low speed,
nothing was lacking at any time.  So for me it was worth it, your results
may vary.
Bruce