alternative engines, now Hemi

.. rap at aci.net
Thu May 20 17:35:01 GMT 1999

Well, I raced SuperStock in the 60's, and during 1964-1966 used the Plymouth 2
door bodys and a 426 wedge (1964) -13:1 cr version - and then 426  Hemi's in the
same body shell (1965/1966). With the Torqueflite transmissions supplied by
Chrysler it was next to impossible for a Chev or Ford to get even a half a car
length out of the hole (unless the Mopar driver was asleep at the wheel) much
less get ahead down the track. This changed during the latter part of 1965 when
the "funny cars" (altered wheel bases) became common - then it depended on how
much the cg was shifted rather then primarily on useable horsepower. The factory
wedges and hemi's were very well prepped before you got them - all you basically
could do was jet them for the conditions at the track for that day. Any nitwit
(looking back I probably fell easily into that category) that could come up with
$3400 (in 1964 - a bit more later) and who's dealer would swear that the customer
was an active drag racer (previously I was sponsored by a Ford Dealer and ran a
'62  427 Ford) could get one of these packages. And these WERE complete packages
(engines offset to the right, large heavy batteries in the trunk for traction,
dana 60 rear ends, no dum-dum sealer for weight reduction, lightweight
upholstery, aluminum front ends, etc) They even had a number of yellow warning
labels in and about the car stating the car was meant for racing application only
and not for sale for street/highways -words to that effect. Running against
another Mopar user was only a test of your tuning ability and reaction time as
the cars were unbelievably identical (Dodge or Plymouth). Break something
(popping a valve through a piston, although very infrequent, did happen) your
dealer then called a number at Chrysler and a new long block would appear by
magic around mid-week so you were ready for the next weekend.

My own "driver" was a 427 vette at the time so it wasn't a case of being a
die-hard Chrysler fan - it was only a case of being practical (sponsor money was
necessary even back then!!!). I vividly remember a slogan at the time: "Want
something with a belt in the back (referring to clothing) then buy a ______ (fill
in the blank - Dodge/Plymouth)" as no matter how many times you went down the
track you were NEVER ready for those 2-3 shifts, they'd snap your head EVERY
single time.
rap