Mr Helmholz - simple model

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Fri May 21 18:59:14 GMT 1999

> Gary what's a CVT...?

Constantly Variable Transmission, whereas the engine maintains an RPM
in its optimal torque curve, and the transmission, via a belt of some
sort, adjusts the axle speed.  This is typically done with two
interlaced pulley halves that mate together.  The closer the pulley
halves are together, the larger diameter the pulley is.  The reverse
would also be true, whereas the pulley halves pulling apart would
yield a smaller pulley diameter.  Works great in go-karts, and been
used for years.  Some of the carm manufacturers have been making units
for electric powered cars, and nowadays even small gas engine powered
cars.

Problem has been (to date) belt tearing under high power applications.

> ALSO a TOP FUEL dragster is still traction limited, doesn't have more
> than one gear, and the clutch slides the entire run...

Our funny car has *no* gears.  Engine, flywheel, clutch, giant
lubricated spherical bearing, driveshaft.

We worship our SFI rated bellhousing :)

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport CT 06606

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HWMMV w/turbocharged 500cid Caddy
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab soon to have 431 stroker + turbos
2000 (I hope) Buick GTP (Mid-Engined Sports Car)