Ignition retard knock sensor.

Daniel Houlton houlster at user2.inficad.com
Wed May 26 05:41:09 GMT 1999

Mark Romans wrote:

> Hate to ask, but was this engine originally designed for a turbo?  What's
> the compression ratio?  Bruce is right, 5 lbs of boost at steady state?  And
> you want to run regular?  Loaded on Hills?
> Mark

Compression is 8.6:1  Timing is 12 deg BTDC.  And no, the engine
to my knowledge isn't actually designed for a turbo, although a
smaller version (.3l smaller) used in cars was (that's where the
turbo and exhaust manifold came from).  Also, the factory shop
manual does say something about it cooling the underside of the
pistons with oil like some turbo engines do.  It doesn't actually
say it has an oil jet spraying the backside though.  OK, I just
checked the wording again.  It says "An oil jet on the connecting
rod provides lubrication to the backside of the piston."  Would
that be a cooling spray or is it just to lubricate the wrist pin?

Also, my cooling system is pretty good I think.  I had overheating
problems during extended crawling around the desert in the summer.
I upgraded the stock, single row radiator (about 1/2" thick) to a
much larger capacity 3 row core (about 2" thick) when I put the
turbo on so I think I have some breathing room there.  Does that
really make a difference for extended boost?

9 psi on regular?  Is that too much to ask?  Sounds like it eh?
I don't typically drive a lot loaded down through the hills.  Maybe
a half dozen times a year on various trips which I can use higher
octane gas for.  I just hate having to pay for it all the time
when I actually only need it about 1% of the time.  Hence the
thought of an ignition retarding knock sensor for that 1%.  Also,
I've gotten quite good at driving it an avoiding detonation.  I'd
hate the thought of letting (or needing to let) someone else
drive it.

--Dan
houlster at inficad.com
http://www.inficad.com/~houlster/amigo.htm