Ignition retard knock sensor.

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed May 26 16:52:13 GMT 1999

| Bruce Plecan wrote:
| > I'd get an EGT, and Oil Temp guage on that, right away.
| Geez, I'm beginning to think I've been extremely lucky so far.

You very well may be.........

| I did some checking into an EGT gauge a few months ago.  Asked the
| list about it too.  The AutoMeter EGT gauge was on the order of $250.
| I did get some leads on some cheaper alternatives, some targeted
| towards aviation, but I haven't followed through with them yet.  I
| was led to believe that EGT wasn't a critical thing to monitor unless
| I'm running lean, which I've been using the A/F meter to avoid.

EGT is critical for the novice, and pro alike.   It tells you where our
playing in relationship to the thermal limits of your engine.

 FWIW,
| my exhaust manifold and turbine scroll housing are ceramic coated as
| well.
| Oil temp I considered as well, but with a water cooled turbo and a
| large capacity cooling system I felt it wasn't critical.  Mayhap it
| is after all?

Water cooled cartridge for the turbo has little inpact on the oil temp
feeding the engine bearings....  Cooling the cartirdge is to min oil coking
in the turbo.

| > I'd get Corky Bell's and Hugh Mc Innes books on turbos in short order,
also.
| I've got them both which is where I learned 99% of what I know about
| turbos and used them extensively during the installation.  I know Corky
| stresses the importance of monitoring oil temp, but he also stated that
| water cooled turbos pretty much eliminated any turbo overheating problems
| as well, hence my lack of an oil temp gauge right now.

Buzz words turbo overheating, you can percolate oil til it easily losses it
ability to lubricate bearings!.

| Perhaps though, now that I know I will be running extended boost when
| loaded down that I should get one to know what's going on and install
| an oil cooler if necessary?

Measure the temp., and see where you are.  Get a temp., and call Earls' or
someone to get a rough idea of what you need.  Why bother putting one on if
it's not sized right.
Sneezy