EGT gauges

Charles charlesmorris at erols.com
Thu May 27 00:36:31 GMT 1999

On Wed, 26 May 1999 13:29:22 -0400, you wrote:

>I did some checking into an EGT gauge a few months ago.  Asked the
>list about it too.  The AutoMeter EGT gauge was on the order of $250

	I bought the gauge and interface box for $100+ and then
discovered they wanted that much and more again for the
thermocouple!
	Bought a K-type Inconel thermocouple from Omega
Instruments for $47. Unfortunately they only last about 2-3
months of daily driving (1/16" diameter for quick gauge
response). Think I'll try a 1/8" unit next, a little slower
but should be more durable. You can't keep a BMW running 15
psi boost wide-open for very long on most of the roads I
know...
	Runs about 1200 F at cruise (no boost), mounted in the
log manifold just above the inlet to the turbo. About 1600 F
with full boost, and 1650+ F with 40hp nitrous also on. (May
not be jetted rich enough).

>I did get some leads on some cheaper alternatives, some targeted
>towards aviation, but I haven't followed through with them yet.

	This is the first time I've seen "cheaper" and
"aviation" in the same sentence!

;)

-Charles
'81 745i