94 Truck problem solved

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Thu May 27 02:27:27 GMT 1999

HI Everyone,
        I first want to thank everyone that took the time to help diagnose
this thing.  What struck me was someone who said to check the
basics.......Sometimes people like us get so involved in finding an efi
problem that we do forget the basics......my biggest problem was I did not
talk to the customer long enough,,,,,,to  find out the problem started almost
a year ago but just recently became severe.......well I did find the root of
the problem during my initial scan.....when key on was applied with engine
not running and fuel pressure came up...fuel was blowing by one of the TB
injectors and after disassembly discovered bad o-ring.....replaced and no
more fuel leak.....still engine would run ok for a few seconds but would
start running rich......had already done a compression test but turned out
ok........I won't bore you guys with the details but I had to start thinking
back what I would do if this had a carburetor on it,,,,and since I had
verified fuel and spark it must be mechanical......so looked back over my
compression chart and noticed #3 was the lowest cylinder so I checked it
again and now was even lower, so checked the one next to it to verify it
wasn't lower due to temp,,,,,no it was the same so re-checked the #3 in case
I just hadn't cranked it enough times......guess what now it's 0
pressure......now can assume broken valve spring or sticking valve.....remove
valve cover and check....no broken valve spring but intake valve is stuck
down.....remove rockers and tap top of valve with hammer and... "pling"...
valve comes up......solution, leaking injector, over a period of a year, has
built up excessive carbon on top of intake valves and is now causing them to
stick open randomly.......so anyway,,,those that want can sit back and point
at the screen and laugh.....I am.......it was actually a good road trip
looking back on it......cya later
-Carl Summers