alternative engines, now Hemi

.. rap at aci.net
Thu May 27 03:13:09 GMT 1999

Usually those stories were just that - stories. You had to use modified heads to
make them run at decent rpms because of the long "flexible" rockers - but they
could have swapped heads and made it work unless they were running an alky class
in which case you needed a lot higher compression then the stockers had. Don't
get me wrong, I loved the old beasts in their time (even had a Desoto hardtop
with a Chrysler 300 engine swapped inside) but you had to do alot of work to
make them run well.... a cam and carbs wouldn't do it by themselves... As time
passes, I suspect the stories will get better.

Actually, I could even tell you a true story about a '56 Chrysler 300 that had a
45 cu.in. outboard engine mounted in the trunk that drove a roots blower with
the air piped to the front into a sealed carb box - commissioned by an eccentric
(and very wealthy old guy).
rap