Prowler V6

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu May 27 21:19:24 GMT 1999

> However, my STOCK 440 can put out well over double it's stock power
> rating with NO mods except the blower... What about that?  Are is that
> like comparin apples n oranges or somethin.... or tin cans vs. aluminum
> cans...?  lol
>
> However, even with only a 30% increase in HP from 200 hp to 300 hp this
> would bring the e.t.'s from mid 14's to mid 12's, a GREAT improvement!
> and that may even make the prowler a Viper contender, at least in the
> 1/4 mile, ey?

30% more from a 200HP engine would be 260...  50% more would be 300

> I think the bottom end would hold double...
>
> In the old days, the big ol muscle v-8's could hold around 3 or more
> times the stock advertisedd HP!!  I'm pretty sure the newer engine's can
> hold at least DOUBLE, don't ya think?

Nope... They try so hard to cut costs that MOST engines are built at the
ragged edge of holding together anymore...
A good performance engine now adays may hold another 50% but not double.

> Wonder if the Prowlers crank and/or rods are forged?

Nope... It's a plain vanilla V6 that they also put in their FWD cars.

> Just look at what the shtang dudes are doin with BONE STOCK 5.0 engines!
> with the paxtons and s, t, u, v, w, x, y, & z trim centrif.
> superchargers....

That 5.0 is a 30 year old design...  The new 4.6 won't hold much more than
30% over stock without new crank, rods etc, and the 4.6 has been the ONLY V8
stang motor for the last 2-3 years.

> Stock the stangy pulls a MAX of 225 hp at the flywheel, these dudes are
> pushin AT LEAST double that with these chargers! Ya know!

That's what they'd like you to believe...  Most are lucky to get 300HP with
TONS of cash dumped into the car.  I know plenty of Stang owners that would
love to see 400HP without buying a complete new engine.