NC: 2.9X posi IRS pumpking donor/halfshaft q?

Todd....!! atc347 at c-com.net
Fri May 28 15:42:21 GMT 1999

OK Ross...

In order to run under like 12's or so on most tracks, at least in the
US, you can't even run an IRS rear end!

How he's runnin 10's more tthan ONCE on any trrakc in America, if that's
where he got the 10's at, is VERY RARE indeed!

Maybe at an ALL Z car rod run at the strip or somethin, but NHRA rules
are NHRA rules.... no matter what the occasion...

Maybe I'm missing somethin...?

For example, I MUST be missing some sorta loop hole, cuz a BONE STOCK
Viper GTS was runnin in the 10.1xx at teh Houston Raceway park track
justa few months ago at the Hennessey Viper Shootout where 26 Vipers
turned out as well as one trailered Vette, which I didn't see come off
the trailor the entire time... Looked GREAT though... Was red and had
custom rims n all..

Before ya get your panties in a bunch, I must add that the 10 second
Viper was runnin lil slicks in the rear and front runners up front, and
had a 400 shot a NOS! and TWO(2) mechanics messin with the plugs to
verify correct nos/a/f mixture...

He 'said' that the whole engine was STOCK!! except the nos injectors, a
course!

Reason I tell ya this is cuz ALL the Vipers were IRS as they've always
been and a LOT of em were under the times which normally require that
the car NOT be equipped with IRS!  But then again, MOST of em didn't
have roll bars or other safety equipment that is required on ALL other
cars including MINE...  When I go to the track!  Like a drive shaft
loop!  Man are they strict!  Good for us, right?

As for the rear end, I have a 3,000+ lb. 1972 Jaguar XJ6 with a 4 barrel
455 Buick in it, the rear end in it has held up to the meager low 14
second e.t.'s, but it's geared up for the 6-cylinder, probably closer to
4.x than 3.x:1....

ALSO, when lookin at the aprts holdin the wheel straight on that rear
end, I am wonderin HOW it held 510+ ft. lb.s of torque at the track!

I don't think I'll be puttin too sticky of tires on this baby!

Hope I helped!

ALSO, why doesn't the dude just use the Viper rear?

The Viper rear IS a tid bit heavier than the Vette setup, however, the
Viper rear holds MORE tire to the ground, thus more than compensating fo
rhte excess weight of itself...according to an article that compared the
New Vette to the NEW GTS.... Wasn't a good article for the Vette... I
love BOTH and would drive either...

Would REALLY like to get my hands on a Viper DEFENDER!!

Cool?

Later,

Todd....
http://www.c-com.net/~atc347/toddlnk.htm